How much knowledge do you take for granted on any given day? You can’t really know the answer. It’s what Donald Rumsfeld would call an “unknown unknown.” You just don’t know what you don’t know. Which can be even more devastating when you think you know something.
Confused yet? Such is life. There are surprises around every corner, just below the surface, sometimes hidden in patterns we don’t pick up. The good news, though, is that there aren’t usually lives on the line.
So how many of these did you actually know, and how many did you just think you knew?
1. The heads on Easter Island have full bodies buried beneath them.
2. Britain’s coins form a picture of the country’s coat of arms.
3. For most new cars, when your car fob’s battery dies you can still access an old-fashioned keyhole.
4. Dogs drink water by forming a small cup with the backs of their tongues.
VIA IMGUR / BAGY
5. In 2008, Norway knighted a penguin named Nils Olav, the mascot for the Norwegian Royal Guard.
6. Chickens can float like ducks.
Although I’m not exactly sure why I expected otherwise.
7. There’s a less messy way to eat cupcakes.
8. There’s also an easier way to keep track of your gas cap.
VIA REDDIT / JIM808
9. What all the deaths in George R.R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” look like.
10. Turn the lid of iced drink cups over to make a coaster.
11. Cough syrup used to be much stronger.
12. How a key and lock work.
13. How stores make such neat displays.
14. Some takeout boxes will unfold to make a plate.
15. This Snapple cap fact.
The planet spins so slowly that it takes 243 Earth days to rotate, but only 225 Earth days to complete an orbit of the sun.
Main image via reddit / fugololo
Collage images via 1. reddit / fancy-ketchup 2. Instagram / @instagramfrancis 3. imgur / relaximusprime